30 May 2012

{building time}

Tuesday, April 3
 
Day two here in Piura has been so fulfilling! Gregg arrived this morning to join the team. Got up at 8 and we were out of here by 9. We were split into three groups: two to build houses and one group went to deliver food.

We pulled up in the village we had visited yesterday where we met our foreman, got a quick overview of what the house will look like and the materials we were using, and got straight to work! The houses are composed of bamboo beams for infrastructure, thatch mats for interior walls, wood sheets as exterior walls, and a sort of corrugated sheets of plastic/metal for a roof.

After the first hour of work a lot of the neighborhood children started gathering to see what all the commotion was about. Oh yeah, forgot to mention that David and Gregg are part of a documentary that a good friend of theirs is shooting while we're here. As if a group of 15 white people wasn't enough to get people talking, we also came with 5-7 camera, sound, and photo crew members.

The kids were fascinated with all of the technology. I had my DSLR with me and it wasn't long til one of them asked to play with it. I watched as the kids passed the camera back and forth to one another, taking shots of themselves, their neighborhood, and the work we were doing.

There was one little girl, Marcela, who stayed by my side all day long! She would help with the building, hold my hand when breaks were taken, and cling to my side while I was shooting. Something really struck me with her.

Over the course of 8 hours in the blistering Peruvian sun, house #1 had finally come together. I think the best part about today was getting to meet the family we built it for. They were so grateful and overjoyed that they had been given this gift!

I'm already so humbled from my experience. Never in my life have I been so grateful for a shower -- and a cold one at that! The things I'd complain about at home seem so trivial now.

The masses tonight and last night were a great way to end the day. They're spoken in Spanish and I can't understand a word, but at the same time that's almost a blessing. I was able to focus on what I was feeling instead of trying to scrutinize every sentence of the homily. And the community of Santisimo Sacremento is inspiring in itself.

It turns out a large part of our group is composed of extremely talented musicians. You know what that means? Amazing, loud, spirited jam sessions into the wee hours of the morning. It' so fun to have all of us gathered in the courtyard singing, dancing, drumming, and just enjoying each others' company! Perfect way to let our souls speak the joy and elation that's built up during the amazing days we're having through service.

Can't wait for what tomorrow brings. Dios te bendiga :)



Update: Remember that lovely little girl I mentioned, Marcela? I've started a fundraiser for her and her family! Please take the time to read her story at crowdrise.com/marcela


No comments:

Post a Comment